• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Heads up!

AndyFettes

Master at Arms
Heres a few heads that I have been doing over the last few days to keep my eye in :)

2 Alpine and 1 Hornet all done in Vallejo Acylics

IMG_0655.JPG

IMG_0657.JPG

IMG_0659.JPG

IMG_0661.JPG

Blimey those were quick replies,..:eek:hmy:

Thanks Chaps, I really appreciate them (y)

the Hornet head ,yeah he does look a bit goofy :laugh:

Ok I tried out sumthing new with the Alpine ones and you cant really see the effect at all and thats the eyes :huh:

Black paint with dry retarder added so its wet for a while and dip in a needle a little is on the point, shove needle in the eye :blink

Then Light blue paint and repeat process and it came out with a great effect that the outline of the iris is black while the centre is the light blue

Still youll have to take my word for that :woohoo:

Hornet heads usually come with a hole for the eyes anyway so that just a case of painting the whites of the eyes which arnt really white just a lighter shade of the fleshtones

Hope that helps :unsure:

Another quick tip ( dont stop me now Im on a roll )

removing those heads from the resin blocks

Time to enter that dark space in reality and thats your wifes make up bag,..

Stealthily nip, when when shes cooking or ironing ok, ok or when shes cutting the lawn or painting, and liberate ( steal) some of those make up remover pads, circular ones, place this around the head so it has a nice cushion and cut off with sharp knife or snippers, trim to suit.

When painting I know some state about pinning the head and putting that on a block but I use big blob of yellow tac around the resin block this way to can handle the tac and move the head around to suit whatever position you desire (y)

thats it for Handy Andys tip section today I am now going to lie down ,..na-night zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Blimey those were quick replies,..:eek:hmy:

Thanks Chaps, I really appreciate them (y)

the Hornet head ,yeah he does look a bit goofy :laugh:

Ok I tried out sumthing new with the Alpine ones and you cant really see the effect at all and thats the eyes :huh:

Black paint with dry retarder added so its wet for a while and dip in a needle a little is on the point, shove needle in the eye :blink

Then Light blue paint and repeat process and it came out with a great effect that the outline of the iris is black while the centre is the light blue

Still youll have to take my word for that :woohoo:

Hornet heads usually come with a hole for the eyes anyway so that just a case of painting the whites of the eyes which arnt really white just a lighter shade of the fleshtones

Hope that helps :unsure:

This sounds like a SBS just waiting to happen. Followed by a painting faces SBS. Just saying mind you, like no pressure, or double dog dare you times infinity, or anything like that......... :evil: :D
We can make a space though for you to post, I know someone on the staff :eek:hyeah

James

LOL James :lol: :lol:

Well when I actually sort out my Berlin GB entry I have a couple of Hornet heads that need doing so I may do the SBS for them if thats ok :)

Real nice looking heads Andy, wish mine was half that good!
tried painting eyes but never looked that good.
A sbs would be really nice, and with acrylics to that i like :)

Those look so good! Can I send my figures your way to paint for me? I stink at doing them :pinch: :pinch:

Tom

I must admit that those Alpines are a pleasure to paint (y)

Thank you one and all for your positive comments :ro:

The Alpine figures are what Laura and I did the figure painting lesson on. I really like them for my first attempt back then, but yea those Hornet heads look very animated, not sure i'd call it lifelike. But I guess it depends on what effect you're after.

I shall certainly try, Rudi, but as all of you know,... me and cameras are not the best of mates :idonno

Cheers MLP :)

don't get me wrong, I like the very animated expression on his face. All those Hornet heads have that look to them, I suppose you can say they are a little more animated than they should be but they really broadcast the emotion from the scale they are in. does that make sense??

Yes of course you do :) I know exactly what you mean Bob (y)

I am going to really try and get some better pictures up and running today as really I am that crap at the photo business side of modelling :S

Well here goes finally managed to take some half decent close up of the above guys with a better shot of the eyes

IMG_3494.JPG

IMG_3495.JPG

IMG_3496.JPG

Even these dont look all that great at close up or maybe Im just a fraud LOL

Well you can get what I was trying to get at with the needle eye method anyway

One of my biggest downfalls is perhapes the quality of lighting and the fact that the camera focuses different in different light conditions

These were taken with my little camera ala Big Bob`s advice

last pic with a beter view of the eyes, still crap though :(

IMG_3488.JPG

Back